Wednesday, December 14, 2011

He said it - not me!

I recently mentioned Voddie Baucham's book, Family-Driven Faith, and I indicated I will be sharing quotations from it from time to time.

After discussing what family-driven faith looks like in the home, Baucham moves to looking at the role of the church.  From chapter nine:
  
"While I believe the vast majority of those who shepherd segregated portions of congregations are well meaning and would never presume to replace parents in their biblical role, I believe the modern American practice of age group segregation goes beyond the biblical mandate. I believe it is the product of the American education system, and in some cases it actually works against families as opposed to helping them pursue multigenerational faithfulness. I believe the church's emphasis ought to be on equipping parents to disciple their children instead of doing it on their behalf."

Baucham then goes on to make three points about current age group practices in American churches: it isn't biblically mandated, it works against the biblical model, and it isn't working, anyway. Worth reading the book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment