Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Family Driven Faith

Here's a book I will probably be quoting from quite a bit in the near future. I am trying to finish it this week (amid myriad other responsiblities) because Rags Ragland is champing at the bit to read it himself. For those of you who have never been to WorldMovers, Rags gives great book reports!

Here is a taste of its contents, to whet your appetite:

"Ask parents what they want most for their children, and yuo will likely get the same answer whether they are Christian or garden-variety unbelievers. They will likely say, 'I want my children to get a good education.' In fact, that's exactly what George Barna found when he interviewed Christian and non-Christian parents. The number one goal they had for their children was that they would get a good education.

I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with emphasizing education for our children. On the contrary, my wife and I are fanatics when it comes to our children's education. However, our children's education is not our primary goal. Our rpimary goal for our children is that they walk with the Lord. Unfortunately, [Barna's] study found that only half as many parents (whether Christian or not) conisdered their children's having a relationship with Christ as important as their child's education."

No comments:

Post a Comment