Monday, October 26, 2009

Brother Lawrence's Practice



"It is enough for me to pick up but a straw from the ground for the love of God." Brother Lawrence

When Pastor Allen quoted from this little book, The Practice of the Presence of God, I realized, almost for the first time, how much I have internalized its message for the past thirty-plus years of my life. I read it not long after graduating from college, and it made eminently good sense to me. It was particularly applicable to my time in the military, since much of that work was unfamiliar, unnatural, and not especially pleasant for me (cleaning details, kitchen police work, motor pool maintenance, etc.). Thinking of doing those jobs to the glory of God was a large part of my mental and spiritual health in those years.

Brother Lawrence's message having become second nature to me, I have often had a hard time, especially in recent years, hearing fellow believers grousing over conditions in their work life, when they should be honoring God with the hands and their heart (attitude). So, like Allen, I recommend a renewed familiarity with this little book, especially to our fellow Dove Mountaineers.

No comments:

Post a Comment