Wednesday, October 7, 2009

News from Africa!


From two recent e mails from our sister Marlene Luartes in Kenya:

"Here is a picture of the Guest House where I'm staying. I'm on the middle level. There are two other buildings, one a residence hall and the other is offices, and an additional building is being constructed. They hope to complete it by December. The space is really needed. They could use more workers! The Africa Area Director is here, as well as the Kenyan Bible Translation & Literacy organization, and folks from other SIL branches where the situation isn't stable...like the Central African Republic and Sudan.

I should be starting work on Monday. Please pray for good relationships with both the Kenyan and expatriate staff. Here in Africa we have many members from Europe, so I have to adapt to more than one new culture. At least within the mission culture we have much in common!

Please also pray that I will get into a small group that will be of good support for me. It's strange being here and not knowing anyone. In my previous new foreign experiences at least I had a husband with me! I'm beginning to really empathize with all our wonderful single ladies in Wycliffe!

The WA volunteer coordinator and his wife had a nice potluck at their home last night. It was good to meet the rest of the volunteers...an eclectic group with many talents! They are constructing a new three-story building here on the center, so several of the volunteers are working on that project."

No comments:

Post a Comment