Sunday, August 2, 2009

Not Greek to Us!



In his sermon today, Parker Tennant mentioned several Greek words and defined them in ways that helped "open up" the scriptures for us. They were found in Matthew 11:28-30: "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

If you didn't happen to jot them down, here is a reminder:

Greek word: kopiwntes
King James word choice: labor
Literal tranlation: ones-toiling

Greek word: pefortismenoi
King James Wonrd: heavy laden
Literal translation: having been carried; having been laden

Greek Word: crestos
King James word: easy
Literal translation: kind

I always find these comparisons to the Greek very helpful, even more than comparing several different English translations. I remember how excited I was when I got my first inter-linear Greek New Testament. Ironically, it wasn't very long after puchasing it that it became available for free in the internet. You might like to take a look at:

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment