Monday, August 10, 2009

A Diary of Private Prayer


I always enjoy the prayers that Pastor Allen chooses for our corporate confessions, and noticed early on that many of them come from John Baillie's A Diary of Private Prayer.

Curious to know more about the man and the book, I fould this (rated "most helpful") review on Amazon.com:


"John Baillie was an Anglican theologian, and evidently not a bad one. But his greatest work was this compilation of prayers. It is arranged into prayers for each morning and evening of 31 days, plus extra prayers for Sundays. The odd-numbered (right-side) pages have the prayers, while the even-numbered pages are empty for your own notes. The prayers are a combination of ancient prayers, various Christian liturgies, Scripture, and Baillie's own writing. It is written in elegant King James English, but it is certainly accessible to anyone who can read.

I can't recommend this highly enough for anyone, in any Christian tradition, wanting to grow in prayer. My God-mother gave it to me, and very quickly I was buying copies for my own good friends. Some of them were buying copies for their friends before long as well. I recommend it very enthusiastically. At least give it a try."

No comments:

Post a Comment