Monday, December 21, 2009

More re-connections




An unexpected e mail came into my box last week, and the photo above was attached.

In the fall of 1971 I was stationed at Fort Hamilton, NY for three months for training as a chaplain's assistant. The first Sunday there, I took the subway to Chinatown and wandered the streets until I heard a hymn I recognized, went up the the second floor flat from whence the sounds came, and instantly was welcomed into the fellowship of the Chinese Conservative Baptist Church of New York City.

I immediately became a regular attender, not only of the Sunday services but also the youth meetings for both their English youth group and the Cantonese youth group. The English group called themselves the JYP (Junior Young People), and the above photo was taken at one of their week end retreats in upstate New York. The gentleman in the white shirt on the right is Pastor Wong. I am on the back row.

A few years ago I wondered what had become of some of these young people, so I left a message on the church's web site. My message was eventually forwarded to one of the young men, King Louie (second from the right, arms crossed, in the back). The message was forwarded by Dexter Yee (far right, white shirt, black rimmed glasses). Both of these young men are actively serving the Lord in other Chinese churches in the NYC area. Of those in the photo, five are still attending the original church.

A day after receiving this photo, I also go an e mail from one of he girls in the photo, Barbara (Lee) Herron (middle of second row, glasses). She is now on faculty at Northland University, a Christian College in Wisconsin.

To look at this photo again after all these years is not only good for my "nostalgia" bone, but refreshment to my soul: to know that so many are still faithful to the Lord.

Proverbs 25:25
As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.

No comments:

Post a Comment