Saturday, November 7, 2009

Perverting Scripture



It was gratifying to hear the audible gasp of disbelief and dismay from the congregation last Sunday when Pastor Allen quoted a self-help guru as having said, "I can do all things through my subconscious, which strenghens me." This shows that our congregation is Biblically literate, and are not fooled by substitutes. I'm afraid some Christians would not even be familiar enough with Scriptures to recognize that this is a direct perversion of Philippians 4:13.

This is important for us in our day, because all sorts of counterfeits abound, and some of the elect may even be taken in by them. I have been in social situations where people come out with some of these unBiblical paraphrases, and am astonished that I am expected to nod my head in agreement with something that sounds "so harmless." In the spirit of Pastor Allen's "Five Smooth Stones" challenge (see Monday's post), we should be ready to "bear witness of the Truth" and "protest."

Curious to know who may have said such a thing, I found this quote from a book entitled The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, originally published in the 1970s:

"Never use the terms, “I can’t afford it” or “I can’t do this.” Your subconscious mind takes you at your word and sees to it that you do not have the money or the ability to do what you want to do. Affirm, “I can do all things through the power of my subconscious mind.”

It was not surprising to find that the author, Joseph Murphy, was an active practioner of Divine Science, and a world-renowned authority on mysticism and mind dynamics. He also taught that the mind is "totally neutral in a moral sense." But the Bible says "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment