Saturday, November 14, 2009

More news from Marlene



Dove Mountaineer Marlene Luartes recently e-mailed "Moments with Marlene," a November newsletter about her work in Kenya, with lots of photos and other news. Here is a brief excerpt:

"I can’t believe that I’ve been here a month already! Time has been flying by! I lived in a guest apartment at the East Africa Bible Translation Center for the first 11 days, then moved into a condo managed by AIM Intl. It’s in a small, mostly African, gated community, but there’s an AIM family on every short street. They have all been so gracious, inviting me into their homes for dinner, or to go along to church or shopping centers, or out for a meal.

I work on the top floor of the hangar, which means climbing three flights of stairs several times a day. I do get my exercise! My boss is a hard-working but fun-loving guy. He’s the head of the Maintenance Dept and also oversees the financial workings of all of AIM AIR. We’re doing account and cost analysis for the department...sound like fun? My desk is in the scheduling office and it’s delightful to hear Lydia talking to folks, scheduling their flights. She often speaks in Kiswahili, with just a phrase of English thrown in here and there. She’s really good at her job...and such a delightful person!"

If you would like to receive Marlene's newsletters directly to your e mail box, just let her know at Marlene_luartes@wycliffe.org

No comments:

Post a Comment