Saturday, September 5, 2009

Meet Aunt Bee



Okay, I DIDN'T ask her permission to call her "Aunt Bee," but with a name like Bee Taylor, who could help but think of Sheriff Andy Taylor's aunt on the Andy Griffith show?

One of my first Sundays at Dove Mountain was the first anniversary service in September, 2008. At that service Bee Taylor gave a thorough introduction to the people listed weekly in the Dove Mountain bulletin, eloquently telling how each one serves the Lord at DMC. I knew right away this was a remarkable lady. I have asked her to tell her "Dove Mountain story" in her own words:

“I was raised in Tucson, in a family of eleven children. Our relationship with our Heavenly Father and our church was the center of our life. I attended Northern Arizona University on a Vocal/music scholarship. Community, church, and touring choirs have been an important part of my life. I was married for 21 years and have a son and daughter who have made me the happiest grandmother in the world. In 1986 I returned to the University of Arizona and earned a Bachelor of Science with an Accounting major. While living in Austin Texas for twelve years I worked for the University of Texas. I also sang with the Austin Symphony for eight seasons.

In 2005 I began attending Catalina Foothills Church, where I enjoyed the teaching/sermons, worship experience, and wonderful music. However, I believe God made it perfectly clear that CFC would not be my long-time home church. This was a first for me; I have always been heavily involved in my church family. So, I waited, enjoyed, and trusted that my Heavenly Father still knew what He was doing with my life.

One morning during a sermon, the pastor mentioned that CFC would be planting a church at Dove Mountain. In that instant I finally knew why I was at CFC; had I not been there I would not have heard that news. For days my feet barely touched the ground. I was elated, thrilled, and excited. CFC soon began having 'informational meetings' where I was able to learn more about the ‘plant.’ When it was announced that Allan Cooney would be one of the pastoral candidates, and a person to whom we could direct comments/questions, I approached him, introduced myself and offered to help in any way to plant this church. Since I had never met Allen, I gave him my business card. Later, when we had our first dinner (held in the Pusch Ridge Cafeteria) I met as many people as I could. Later that evening, Chuck Strothman spoke, saying that he would initiate the finance arm on the ‘plant.’ Since I have a financial-business background I approached Chuck, told him a bit about my background, and asked to be considered when he was looking for volunteers. He later invited me to help with setting up the financial software, as well as attend the Tuesday morning steering committee meetings.

I started looking for furniture and supplies for our church office. When Chuck secured an office on Rancho Vistoso Boulevard for DMC, we spent two Saturday mornings setting up the furniture. The facility duties were handed off to David Schmidt, who beautifully orchestrated the wonderful worship experience we have had for our first two years as a congregation. I continued working in the church office Monday and Tuesday evening, Fridays, and Saturdays to record the accounting transactions. At that time I was still working a four-days-a-week job at the University of Arizona as the Utility Accountant.

In late September 2007, I was handed another ‘assignment,’ at which time I handed off my volunteer duties at DMC to others. Eventually, Kim Ritt joined our team, blessing DMC beyond measure.

My new assignment involved surgery, chemotherapy, and ongoing challenges that have only strengthened my belief that we serve a compassionate, caring, loving, Heavenly Father. He is my constant Comforter, Shepherd, Counselor, and Warrior. Being part of Dove Mountain Church has been one of the premiere privileges of my life.”

And we are privileged to have you in our midst, “Aunt Bee!”

No comments:

Post a Comment