Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hail, Farewell, and Godspeed!



Normally, these personal stories will be entitled "Time to Meet..." but in today's case, it's actully time to say "good-bye" - for a while. Here is Marlene Luartes' back story and Dove Mountain addendum, all in one shot:

"My husband Dick and I both felt the call for Christian missions shortly after becoming believers in Christ. We found the perfect place for us in Wycliffe Bible Translators. WBT had been looking for support personnel to work in the printing area. Because Dick had majored in Graphic Arts in college it was a good fit, plus WBT is always in need of bookkeepers! After extensive field training in Mexico and Guatemala, we sailed in October, 1965, for our first assignment in the Philippines. We later served in Mexico, Brazil, and at the home office when it was in Huntington Beach, California. Dick struggled many years with a liver condition and received a liver transplant in 1988. He went to be with the Lord on October 27th, 1997, after 41 years of marriage and 32 years of service with WBT.

In 1995 I began work with the Publications Department of the Mexico Branch at their headquarters in Catalina. In November 1999 I was appointed the Supervisor of Publications, in charge of all print, audio and internet publishing for the Branch. I retired from active membership with Wycliffe as of May 31st 2008, after 45 years of service with WBT. I have three living children, eleven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. I'm looking forward to serving missions again...even for the short time of 3 to 6 months.

I will be working as an administrative assistant in the AIM (Africa Inland Mission) Air office in Nairobi Kenya. I'll be working with the secretary to the director, as well as assisting the flight and maintenance managers with administrative assistant type work. I've agreed to stay at least 3 months, and I may stay an additional 3 months. If you want to know more about the people I'll be working with go here and see their website. I think it will be very rewarding work!

I am so glad that I transfered from Catalina Foothills Church to Dove Mountain Church! It was a hard decision, since I was a charter member there, loved singing in the CFC choir, and had worked at the Welcome Desk for many years. However, I have grown to love our little congregation and our dear pastor, and I'm grateful to be able to use my gifts to serve!"

And we are grateful for you, Marlene, and will be praying for you as you undertake God's next adventure for your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment