Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Your spirit booster for today

I tuned in to the Outback Bowl to root against the Georgia Bulldogs (this sometimes confuses people since I am from Georgia; but like many Georgians on the west side of the state, I grew up an Auburn fan). Didn't know anything about Michigan State, its players, coaches, etc.

Some time in the second half the commentators mentioned a speech the Michigan State quarterback, Kirk Cousins, made at a kickoff banquet representing all of the student athletes of the Big Ten Conference. They seemed pretty
impressed with it, and said it could be found on You Tube. I couldn't resist taking a look. 

I was impressed too;  so much so I entreat you to push the play button right now!

One of the themes we talk about a lot in WorldMovers is the need for heroes in our time. Usually we are looking for political heroes (I am biased to believe we won't find any in that arena - ever!). But right now I'll take a hero wherever I can find one, even in the world of college sports.

Just after I finished watching the speech on You Tube, Michigan State fell behind by a touchdown with a minute and forty-six seconds to play in the game. It was a joy to watch Cousins calmly engineer a drive that took them 85 yards for a touchdown, sending the game into overtime. The drive employed five beautifully thrown passes and a long quarterback keeper, showing both Cousins' versatility and his indispensible role on the team.

And never mind the interception he threw in the first overtime. His team's defense was staunch in the third overtime, and MSU pulled out a win in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment