Saturday, July 17, 2010

Why I emphasize repentance so much


One of the things that readers of my articles in Presidentialprayerteam.com have noticed is that I urge readers to first pray prayers of repentance before prayers of intercession. It's just too tempting for Christians to believe the problems are always "out there" rather than "in here."

Years ago I was on a community task force about a particular social problem. I eventually resigned from this committee because of the presumption of everyone (except me) that the solution to any human problem was "a program of education." Returning to my Christian school, I used this experience to remind teaachers that "education (alone) cannot redeem, but the redeemed can be educated." In a recent blog in which he reviewed Glen Beck's new book, Pastor Douglas Wilson said much the same thing in this excerpt:

The solution to the political pathologies we see in Washington today is to get involved and "get informed." But the biblical answer is repentance, and repentance all the way down. Our solution is not to get angry at what "they" are doing to us, but rather to be grieved at what we have done to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment