Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Rare Cancellation


Coming from my Southern Baptist background, one of the things that has fascinated me is how often other groups (especially Presbyterians) pre-empt Sunday School. At many churches - Catalina Foothils is a good example - there is a huge summer break, and then any other unusual event during the school year causes a cancellation, as well. Of course the Sunday nearest any holiday is verboten - before Thanksgiving, practically the whole months of December and January, Rodeo Week (for crying out loud!) and so on. Meanwhile, back in my upbringing I can remember "business as usual" with both Sunday School and church at their regularly scheduled times once when Christmas fell on a Sunday!

When I started the WorldMovers class a little over  a year ago, several people asked my, "How long are you planning on?"  I toyed with so many answers, most of which were too sarcastic:  "Until we've solved all the world's problems - probably a couple of months" was my favorite. Others:  "We'll stop when all the prayers have been answered," "Until there's no more news," and "As long as the world turns," were other favorites. Sometimes at church when people ask if we are meeting today I reply, "Let's see, did the sun come up?  Then I guess we'll meet!"

Please forgive the sarcasm. Tomorrow we will not meet, for the very deserving reason that we will enjoy a potluck with our entire Dove Mountain family followed by a Town Hall "Q and A" with our current pastoral candidate. Hope to see you there!

The cover story of the issue pictured here (July 30) will be our next discussion and prayer focus, for Sunday, August 7. See you then, as well, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment