Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Thanking you kindly for the hospitality, it's time to go home

It was great to see so many Dove Mountaineers at the Gloria Christmas Concert at Catalina Foothills Church Sunday evening. On stage were Dove Mountaineers Donita Van Stelle and John Bailey. On the row right behind me was WorldMover May Toedter. I saw old friends from Bisbee whose sister is now in the CFC Chorale. In the seat next to me was a former member of my Sunday School class when I taught at CFC. Linda and I saw many old friends from CFC, including Karen Hocker of the PrimeTimers ministry and our staff buddies Al Tellez and Scott Farris. Such reunions are always great times of renewing and catching up.

As Dove Mountaineers, we are in a unique position. Virtually all of us came originally from Catalina Foothills. That means that we have healthy connections there, and are culturally savvy enough to know when we should go back - for choir concerts, men's ministry events, educational seminars, etc. It feels good to "know our way around" there, and to not feel like a complete stranger.

But for most of us, our lot is now cast with a new family. Just speaking honestly, it has been somewhat discouraging for those of us who are "sticking it out" with Dove Mountain to see so many of our friends leaving in recent weeks. I have always been one to acknowledge the free agency of adult believers to find their own way - without guilt trips and attempts to control the lives of others through manipulation and emotional blackmail, so don't read me wrong here. I am happy when others have found what makes them happy.

But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord with the amazing family of believers known as Dove  Mountaineers.  And I don't plan to be a nomad any more. I like the new family that is being forged at Dove Mountain, and while it may be far from perfect, I plan to stick with it and enjoy the adventure that Aslan has planned for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment