Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I Voted Early



One of the discussion points which has come up frequently in recent WorldMovers classes concerns the responsiblity we have as Christians to vote knowledgably. Many of the topics we discuss in WorldMovers reflect serious situations which we may feel we have very little power to affect. We remind ourselves at the end of each class that we need to be informed (the Book of Proverbs condemn the "simple" who say "it doesn't affect me"), reflective (holding all things up to Biblical standards), influential (which is why we rehearse "talking points" at the end of each session), and prayerful (because God is Sovereign over the things we cannot change). In recent weeks, one of our most consistent action points is to become informed voters.

Today I filled out my absentee ballot in the quiet of my own home office. It is remarkly easy now, with just a few clicks of the internet, to get to know candiates (both their pros and cons) very quickly. I think there are fewer excuses now than ever before for uninformed voting. I feel more confident than I ever have that I used knowledge and understanding in my selections. I now have high expectations of the candidates for whom I voted. It is easy to fall into the rationalization that one vote doesn't count much, but voting is something I do as part of being a responsible citizen. And I take solace in the thought that my vote doesn't count less than anyone else's, either.

By the way, we will be discussing World magazine's investigative look at voter fraud and voting rights in this Sunday's lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment